Friday, June 25, 2010

What's Wrong with this Picture?

Okay, so I was reading this article about how you shouldn't blog just about your successes, but also about works in progress and even your failures. And I realized I had something sitting right in front of me that fit both categories.

So here it is. I'm going to have to take this rosary apart and restring it again (might not be so bad if I hadn't had to do that once already for a similar reason).  Can you tell why?


How about with a close-up of the problem area?


Yep. At the ends of the wire: two spacers on the left side and three on the right. And I know exactly how it happened. After I'd started stringing, I decided that there should be three spacers at the ends instead of two, telling myself that I'd have to remember to go back and put another one at the beginning of the wire before I fastened it. Well, guess what?

There are advantages to making rosaries with beading wire instead of the traditional individual links, but one of the disadvantages is that it's all or nothing. Once those crimp beads are fastened to the rosary's center, there's no way to fix anything except by taking the whole thing apart and redoing it. And, of course, I didn't notice the two/three discrepancy until the moment after I'd crimped it together. The "tornado" crimps I use are strong little things: once they're on, they're not coming off (which is usually a good thing).

So what's the big deal? Why not just leave it the way it is, put on the stem, and forget about it? One reason is my perfectionistic streak - the same thing that won't let me send out a letter from my day job that has a grammar mistake (I'll argue with my boss about a grammar point rather than do that). Another is that it really does make a difference. If someone were to hang that rosary on a hook, etc., it wouldn't be straight. The "Our Father" beads on one side would be out of synch with the ones on the other side:


A minor thing? Sure, in the overall scheme of the universe or the coming of the Kingdom. But a big enough deal that I'll be taking this rosary apart and redoing it... again.

No comments:

Post a Comment